EP 5: From Awareness to Action: Behavior Change (Part 2)
Are there behavior patterns you struggle with changing?
Do you ever catch yourself doing unhealthy things on “autopilot?”
Do you ever sabotage your own efforts to change something in your life?
In this episode, we take another look at behavior change, this time Dr. Debbie Sorensen and Dr. Diana Hill will focus on awareness training, the role of thoughts and emotions in changing behaviors, and how to think like a behavioral psychologist!
In this episode you will learn:
- Techniques for increasing awareness of your behavior patterns.
- Whether or not tracking your behavior is a useful tool.
- How our thoughts can sabotage our efforts to change our behavior.
- How “urge surfing” might help you deal with a craving or urge.
- Whether there might be emotions underlying your behavior patterns.
- How strategies from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy can help when your mind says "I don't feel like it."
- How Opposite Action from Dialectical Behavior Therapy may be helpful in getting unstuck.
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” – Viktor Frankl
The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
Appetite Awareness Training by Linda Craighead
Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl