Ep 10: Flourish In the New Year (Part 1)
DO YOU WANT TO TRANSFORM YOUR HEALTH IN THE NEW YEAR?
ARE YOU LONGING FOR A MORE MEANINGFUL, ENGAGED, AND CONNECTED LIFE?
ARE YOU READY TO STOP LANGUISHING AND START FLOURISHING?
THEN JOIN US FOR OUR 2 PART SERIES ON FLOURISHING!
Recently the field of psychology has been shifting away from medical models of pathology toward models of wellbeing. Positive psychology researcher Dr. Barbara Fredrickson defines "flourishing" as living "within an optimal range of human functioning, one that connotes goodness, growth, and resilience." In this episode, Drs. Diana Hill and Debbie Sorensen will outline 3 of 7 principles for flourishing:
1. Live by your values
2. Hold your thoughts lightly
3. Eat and Move nutritiously
Next week we will explore the remaining 4 principles for flourishing:
4. Promote sleep
5. Generate self-compassion
6. Practice social connection over social comparison
7. Embodiment in the Present Moment
In this episode you will learn:
What are values and how can we act on our values in the present moment
- How to use "choice points" to promote meaningful action
- What is cognitive defusion and how it differs from traditional approaches to thoughts in CBT
- Strategies to step back from your thoughts and move more flexibly
- How can we become more "psychologically flexible"
- How Diana turns breakfast into a mindfulness practice
- How food scientists are tricking us to eat fake food and principles for eating real food
- Why movement matters as much as exercise
- Why Diana doesn't have living room furniture and chooses to squat at a coffee table to write her treatment notes
Write A Review for us on iTunes!!!
Resources to explore more: