2. Hygge-Happiness and the Danish Art of Cozy Connection
Are You Curious Why Scandinavian Cultures Are So Happy?
Are You Craving More Cozy Connection In Your Home?
Do You Want To Slow Down And Savor Your Relationships?
According to the World Happiness Report, people in Denmark are unusually high on ratings of happiness and wellbeing. And they also happen to be obsessed with the concept of “Hygge,” which roughly translates to an atmosphere of coziness and interpersonal connection. Is this a coincidence, or is Hygge the secret key to contentment? Light a few candles, grab a cup of hot tea, and cozy in for this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock!
In this episode, you will learn:
- The meaning of the Danish concept of Hygge, and why it’s crossing the Atlantic. (Although you probably won’t learn how to pronounce the word correctly!)
- Why Denmark is so often rated as one of the happiest countries in the world.
- What we Americans are doing wrong, and why we might want to slow down.
- Why some Hygge skeptics think the whole concept has a dark side (see here and here and this book)
- How Diana creates coziness in the warm Santa Barbara climate and why Debbie plans to start taking longer coffee breaks at work.
- Why running on the hedonic treadmill probably isn’t getting you anywhere.
Explore These Resources
Books About Hygge
From the Skeptics
About Swedish Coffee Breaks
About Slowing Down as a Parent
The Greater Good Science Center