In nearly every episode on our podcast, we describe how ACT-based concepts and principles help us heal from pain, make life-affirming choices, and build happiness. Join us for a conversation about a powerful therapeutic approach and general guide to living well, acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT). Dr. Jill Stoddard walks us through the principles of ACT, which have been shown to help individuals with anxiety, depression, chronic pain, relationship problems, and general stress improve their happiness and general well-being. Dr. Jill Stoddard explains the basics of ACT and how we can use ACT-based ideas and strategies to live more meaningfully.
Listen and Learn:
- About psychological flexibility, the ability to stay in touch with present circumstances so that you can make choices to persist or cease behaviors in the service of your most important values
- How reframing emotional pain can allow you to make that pain work better for you
- Illuminating metaphors that bring to life the 6 core processes of ACT which help us to live more effectively
- The Big Book of ACT Metaphors: A Practitioner’s Guide to Experiential Exercises and Metaphors in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by Jill Stoddard
- Be Mighty: A Woman’s Guide to Liberation from Anxiety, Worry, and Stress Using Mindfulness and Acceptance by Jill Stoddard
- Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by Steven Hayes
- The Center for Stress and Anxiety Management, Director Jill Stoddard
About Dr. Jill Stoddard
Jill Stoddard, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist, the director of the Center for Stress & Anxiety Management in Carlsbad. She received her Ph.D. from the renowned Boston University Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders under the mentorship of David Barlow. Jill is an award winning teacher and peer-reviewed ACT trainer who has presented at local, national and international conferences and has co-authored articles on CBT, ACT, anxiety disorders, and cardiac and chronic pain. Her newest book, Be Mighty: A Woman’s Guide to Liberation from Anxiety, Worry, and Stress Using Mindfulness and Acceptance can be pre-ordered and will be released by New Harbinger next year.