Women of the world, are you stressed out and worried? Do you find yourself up fretting at 4 a.m.? If so, you’re not alone! In a culture where women are expected to look perfect, juggle relationships and career effortlessly, and “just deal” with the harsh realities of misogyny and gender inequities, is it any wonder we’re also twice as likely to be stressed out, overwhelmed, and anxious? Fortunately, there are real tools you can use now to build resilience in a difficult world, conquer your stress and frustrations, and live mightily.
In this episode, we talk with our mighty new co-host, Dr. Jill Stoddard, about her new book Be Mighty: A Woman’s Guide to Liberation from Anxiety, Worry & Stress Using Mindfulness and Acceptance. The book teaches you to respond more consciously to life’s daily triggers, discover what really matters to you, and connect with your most authentic self.
Listen and Learn:
- Some fun facts about our new co-host, Jill, and about her work!
- Why so many women and girls are stressed out and anxious these days
- About the difference between anxiety and stress
- Why we have anxiety and the upside of stress
- A unique approach, based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, for responding effectively to anxiety and stress
- How to respond effectively to your inner critic
- Ways women can support each other and work toward prevailing over systems of power
- Jill’s book Be Mighty: A Woman’s Guide to Liberation from Anxiety, Worry, and Stress Using Mindfulness and Acceptance.
- Kelly McGonigal’s TED TALK on Stress
- Jill’s blog post “When You Stress About Stress You Are Stressed”
- McKinsey article “When Women Lead, Workplaces Should Listen”
- Writing Class Radio elephant hats
- Book The Likeability Trap: How to Break Free and Succeed as You Are by Alicia Menendez
- Website for Rikke Kjelgaard, who offers the online course Fierce, Fabulous, and Female
- Book Playing Big: Practical Wisdom for Women Who Want to Speak Up, Create, and Lead by Tara Mohr (and be sure to check out our interview with Tara Mohr!)
- Book WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game by Abby Wambach
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock. We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!
Subscribe for free where you listen to podcasts!
Please note the information on Psychologists Off The Clock is intended for informational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for psychological or medical care. If you are looking for professional help, visit our resources page for guidance on how to find a therapist. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 9-1-1.