Wouldn’t it be great to feel more confident, courageous, and less stuck about decision-making? In this episode, Jill talks with Patrick McGinnis, who coined the term FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) about his new book Fear of Missing Out: Practical Decision-Making in a World of Overwhelming Choice. Join us for this fun and rich discussion about the causes and pitfalls of FOMO. We also talk about FOMO’s darker cousin FOBO (Fear of a Better Option). Later get tips for how to overcome indecision You’ll find the power to choose what’s right for you by honing your decision-making skills.
Listen and Learn
- What are FOMO and FOBO?
- FOMO and FOBO’s evolutionary roots
- FOMO’s dark toll
- FOBO’s darker toll
- Why FOMO’s good- in moderation- and FOBO’s always bad
- Harnessing FOMO’s upside to work for you
- Patrick’s hacks to squelch indecisiveness
- Tips to help your kids not fall prey to FOMO
- How FOMO and FOBO fluctuate across the lifespan
About Patrick McGinnis
Patrick J McGinnis is an international venture capitalist and author of Fear of Missing Out: Practical Decision-Making in a World of Overwhelming Choice. Patrick coined the term FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) as well as the term FOBO (Fear of a Better Option) in a 2004 article in the student newspaper at the Harvard Business School. FOMO has since been added to the dictionary and FOBO has become an increasingly popular framework to describe analysis paralysis.
Patrick is the host of the hit podcast FOMO Sapiens, which is distributed by Harvard Business Review, and the author of the international bestseller The 10% Entrepreneur: Live Your Startup Dream Without Quitting Your Day Job. He has been featured in the New York Times, Politico, The Financial Times, the Guardian, and Inc, and gave a popular 2019 TED Talk on FOBO and decision-making. Patrick has traveled to 103 countries and lives in New York City.
- Fear of Missing Out: Practical Decision-Making in a World of Overwhelming Choice by Patrick McGinnis
- The 10% Entrepreneur: Live Your Startup Dream Without Quitting Your Day Jobby Patrick McGinnis
- Website: www.patrickmcginnis.com
- Podcast: FOMO Sapiens
- Instagram: @patrickjmcginnis
- Twitter: @pjmcginnis
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ItsPatrickJMcGinnis
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!
Please note the information on Psychologists Off The Clock is intended for informational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for psychological or medical care. If you are looking for professional help, visit our resources page for guidance on how to find a therapist. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 9-1-1.