If you – like us – are prone to parental guilt, struggle with pandemic parenting, and wonder if it’s possible to satisfy your own soul while raising kiddos then this is the episode for you! Dive in and join Yael for a candid discussion with KJ Dell’Antonia, former editor of The New York Times Motherlode Blog and author of How to Be a Happier Parent: Raising a Family, Having a Life and Loving (Almost) Every Minute. KJ offers practical advice for pandemic parenting, on mindset shifts to increase parenting satisfaction, and in raising happy, healthy, capable, and resilient kids.
Listen and Learn
- Why happier parents make for happier kids
- Why you can be happy – even when your children aren’t
- 4 things happy parents do well
- How to find success with kids and chores
- How to approach screen time
- Why not accommodate your kid’s every whim
About KJ Dell’Antonia
KJ Dell’Antonia is the author of How to Be a Happier Parent: Raising a Family, Having a Life and Loving (Almost) Every Minute and a regular contributor to the New York Times, where she covers the personal and policy aspects of parenthood. Her research, interviews and reporting on the topic are geared towards helping all of us figure out “how it’s done” in the bits of family life we find most challenging. KJ is the former editor of The New York Times’ Motherlode blog and co-host of the #AmWriting podcast. An attorney and former prosecutor, KJ is a graduate of Kansas State University and the University of Chicago Law School. She lives in Lyme, New Hampshire with her husband and four children.
- Diana’s free resource “My Summer Map for Kids”
- How to Be a Happier Parent: Raising a Family, Having a Life and Loving (Almost) Every Minute by KJ Dell’Antonia
- “Why I Won’t Sacrifice My Sanity to My Kid’s Online Schooling” WBUR April 27, 2020 Commentary by KJ Dell’Antonia
- “What Happened to American Childhood?” The Atlantic April 17, 2020 Article by Kate Julian
- “Turn Your Demanding Child Into a Productive Co-Worker” New York Times April 30, 2020 Article by Michaeleen Doucleff
- Instagram and the #BooksThatWon’tBumYouOut series
- Twitter: @KJDellAntonia
- KJ’s irregular emails about creative family life: http://followkj
- #AmWriting Podcast
- The Chicken Sisters by KJ Dell’Antonia (released June 30, 2020)
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
- 141. Educating Our Kids at Home with Julie Bogart
- 75. Mindful-Self Compassion with Dr. Christopher Germer
- 113. Self-Compassion for Parents with Dr. Susan Pollak
- 24. Choosing Both: Straddling Meaningful Career and Parenthood with Dr. Yael Schonbrun
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!
Please note the information on Psychologists Off The Clock is intended for informational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for psychological or medical care. If you are looking for professional help, visit our resources page for guidance on how to find a therapist. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 9-1-1.