How can we help adolescents develop skills to live well and reach their full potential? In this episode, Debbie talks to Dr. Louise Hayes, co-author of The Thriving Adolescent: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Positive Psychology to Help Teens Manage Emotions, Achieve Goals, and Build Connection. Together they explore her approach to helping adolescents thrive, not just survive, this challenging time in their development.
Listen and learn:
- The unique developmental tasks of adolescence
- Why adaptive risk-taking is necessary and important in adolescence
- How the skills of Discoverer, Noticer, Advisor and Vitality (DNA-V) help adolescents develop flexible strength
- What matters most for parents of teenagers
- Why adolescents are sunsets…not problems to be solved
About Dr. Louise Hayes
Dr. Louise Hayes is a clinical psychologist who is well known for her work using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for young people in schools and clinical settings. She is currently the President of the Association for Contextual Behavioural Science. Dr. Hayes is an author, international speaker, a senior fellow with The University of Melbourne and Orygen Youth Health, and a peer-reviewed Acceptance and Commitment Therapy/Training (ACT) trainer.
Dr. Hayes is the co-author of the best-selling book, Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life for Teenagers: A Guide to Living an Extraordinary Life, and the newly released book, The Thriving Adolescent: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Positive Psychology to Help Teens Manage Emotions, Achieve Goals, and Build Connection. Together with Joseph Ciarrochi, she conducts research and treatment development; her latest work uses a DNA-v (Discoverer-Noticer-Advisor-Value) treatment model for young people. Louise is also an active humanitarian, taking mental health professionals into the Himalaya to developing their mindfulness skills and raising funds for poor children in remote Nepal.
- Dr. Hayes’s website with links to her upcoming trainings and workshops
- Click here to see a visual image of the DNA-v model
- Dr. Hayes’ Books:
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
- 78. The Self-Driven Child with Dr. William Stixrud
- 100. Celebrating 100 Episodes of Psychologists off the Clock with Debbie, Diana, and Yael!
- 116. Building a Meaningful, Values-based Life with Dr. Jenna LeJeune
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!