We all know we “should” move our bodies but some of us struggle with wanting to or get caught up in complicated, negative and rule-bound messages about how to move our bodies. Join Jill for an uplifting and motivating discussion with Dr. McGonigal, author of The Joy of Movement: How Exercise Helps Us Find Happiness, Hope, Connection, and Courage about the intrinsic power of movement for everybody, and ways to change your relationship with physical exercise so your brain comes to actually like, want, and need it!
Listen and Learn:
- Tips to train your brain to find joy in movement
- The surprising upside of lactic acid
- How exercise improves and enhances social connection/community
- The power of moving in synchrony.
About Dr. Kelly McGonigal:
Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. is a health psychologist, a lecturer at Stanford University, and best-selling author of The Upside of Stress and The Willpower Instinct. She also helped design the Stanford Compassion Cultivation Training, a course originally developed for the Stanford Center for Compassion and Altruism, that is now offered worldwide to help individuals cultivate greater empathy, compassion, and social connection. Dr. McGonigal has spent decades researching and steeping herself in neuroscience, health psychology, and movement practices and is deeply committed to translating the latest research from these fields to help others experience improved health, happiness, and wellbeing. Dr. McGonigal received her Ph.D. in psychology from Stanford University and a B.A. in psychology and B.S. in Communications from Boston University.
- The Joy of Movement: How Exercise Helps Us Find Happiness, Hope, Connection, and Courage by Kelly McGonigal, PhD
- The Upside of Stress: Why Stress is Good for You and How to Get Good at It by Kelly McGonigal, PhD
- The Willpower Instinct: How Self Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It by Kelly McGonigal, PhD
- Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Body by Kelly McGonigal, PhD
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
- 43. Willpower With Dr. Kelly McGonigal
- 124. Nutritious Movement and Why it Matters with Katy Bowman, M.S.
- 129. Yoga for All and Body Kindness with Dr. Jennifer Webb
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!