We have been unexpectedly thrust into the responsibility of educating our children from home. How can we survive the “wandering nomads”, boredom, video games, and parental fears that our children are “falling behind”? Is it possible to find magic, a love of learning, and joy while educating at home? In this episode, Diana interviews Julie Bogart, a master in compassionate, meaningful home education. Julie shares her homeschool expertise and practical tips for thriving while learning at home. She guides us on how to harness your children’s interests, build family bonds, and create life-long learners of our children while at home.
Listen and Learn:
- How to embrace the home environment and flexibly shift our schooling methods
- How to use a child’s interests and values to support curiosity, problem-solving skills, and buy you some more time!
- Answers to common concerns about math, academic standards, and social connection when educating from home
- How to use the cozy home environment to nurture learning
- What Diana is doing (and not doing) with her kids during this wild learning experiment!
- Resources to transition to homeschooling if you choose to for the short/long term
- What to do when you are exhausted from it all
About Julie Bogart:
Julie Bogart is the popular voice of common sense and compassion for home educators. Her online coaching community, The Homeschool Alliance, her podcast, and her YouTube channel are lifelines for tens of thousands of weary homeschoolers all over the world.
Julie’s the author of The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool Learning and Life. She also the creator of the award-winning, innovative online writing program called Brave Writer and the fast-growing weekly habit called Poetry Teatime. Julie home educated her five children who are now globe-trotting adults.
Today, Julie lives in Cincinnati, Ohio, and can be found sipping a cup of tea, planning her next visit to one of her lifelong-learning kids.
- Read Julie’s book The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool Learning and Life.
- Find Julie on Social Media: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
- Julie’s online courses
- Get Julie’s summer resources for parents and kids by signing up to her email list
- Here is Julie’s online resource for math at home: Boco Math
- Debbie’s article on Medium.com