You are not alone if you’re feeling more stressed out and using unhealthy means to cope. Four months into the pandemic may find you Netflix binging, stress eating, or reaching for that extra glass of wine more than you would like. Or you may be struggling with addiction and/or working hard to maintain recovery in the midst of increased pandemic stress. In this episode Yael speaks with Dr. Rebecca Williams, a psychologist and co-author of The Gift of Recovery: 52 Mindful Ways to Live Joyfully Beyond Addiction and The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction. Her approach offers strategies for managing the big emotions we’re feeling now and concrete strategies to build the neural pathways in our brains to pivot toward wellness and healing (rather than of unhealthy coping mechanisms/problematic addictive behaviors) in the face of stress.
Listen and Learn:
- What is addiction?
- Why mindfulness is key for those struggling with addiction
- Neuroplasticity’s role in healing and ways to cultivate it
- Why our feelings don’t have to change for us to be ok
- Teasing apart cravings from commands
- Tips for folks with a hard time getting in touch with their values
- The relationship between loss and addiction
- Tips for individuals who love someone struggling with addiction
About Dr. Rebecca Williams:
Dr. Rebecca Williams is a psychologist and award-winning author of two books, integrating mindfulness and recovery from addictive behaviors. Her first book, The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction: A Guide to Coping with Grief, Stress, and Anger that Trigger Addictive Behaviors incorporates over 60 worksheets and exercises for readers and therapists to identify healthy coping strategies in recovery. And her second book, The Gift of Recovery: 52 Mindful Ways to Live Joyfully Beyond Addiction is a pocket coach of mindfulness skills that readers can practice every day to stay focused on self-care and commit to a healthy recovery. Rebecca is a lifelong yoga practitioner and brings the ancient teachings of yoga and meditation into understanding mental health and recovery.
- The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction: A Guide to Coping with Grief, Stress, and Anger that Trigger Addictive Behaviors by Rebecca E. Williams, PhD and Julie S. Kraft, MA
- The Gift of Recovery: 52 Mindful Ways to Live Joyfully Beyond Addiction by Rebecca E. Williams, PhD and Julie S. Kraft, MA, MFT
- A Better Chance: A non-profit organization dedicated to creating leaders of color.
- Untamed, by Glennon Doyle
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!
Please note the information on Psychologists Off The Clock is inte