We are facing an unprecedented challenge of how to work, parent, homeschool, and partner in the time of the Coronavirus Pandemic. During this tragedy, many of us have felt overwhelmed by the nuts and bolts of maintaining our most important life roles. In this episode, Yael and Diana draw from psychology research, personal experience, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). We discuss strategies to keep our heads above water in each of our life roles while keeping an eye towards finding slivers of possibility to support our work, parenting, and relationships during this quarantine.
Listen and learn:
- How to soothe your nervous system when stressed-out
- Strategies to engage self-compassion and psychological flexibility
- How to take breaks, find meaning, and explore the possibility
- Perspective shifting so that you can manage expectations, mistakes, and challenges
- To look for opportunities for growth and joy in our parenting, work, and relationships
- Ways to make room for complex emotions
- How to support positive connections between work, parenting, and relationships while quarantined
- Blessings of a Skinned Knee: Raising Self-Reliant Children, by Wendy Mogel
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
Learn more about self-compassion and resilience:
Ideas for Parenting Effectively and Compassionately:
- 78. The Self-Driven Child with Dr. William Stixrud
- 113. Self-Compassion for Parents with Dr. Susan Pollak
Ideas for Managing Work Under Difficult Circumstances
- 42. Strategies To Increase Focus And Work More Effectively
- 58. Balancing the Big Stuff with Drs. Miriam Liss and Holly Schiffrin
- 73. Essentialism With Greg McKeown
- 83. The Tao of Work and Family Balance
- 130. Working Less with Dr. Alex Pang
Ideas for Maintaining Healthy Partnerships
- 21. Fostering A Connected Partnership
- 61. Becoming Our Best Relationship Selves By Identifying Core Values And Schemas With Dr. Avigail Lev
- 92. Marriage in Midlife: The Rough Patch with Dr. Daphne de Marneffe
Learn about Values and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT):
- 116. Building a Meaningful, Values-based Life with Dr. Jenna LeJeune
- 121. Be Mighty: An Episode for Stressed Out, Worried Women with Dr. Jill Stoddard
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!